02 January 2007

DJ SHADOW - This Time (I'm Going To Try It My Way) - 2007 - Single review

Shadow reacts to the Monkeyboxing review of his LP last year.

DJ SHADOW: This Time (I'm Gonna Try it My Way) (2007) Single review
RATING: 3/5

With this single, DJ Shadow continues a recent propensity for communicating via the titles of his work. The LP was called The Outsider - because he feels like one artistically - get it? Or maybe he feels he will become one because all that 'hyphy' shit will alienate his legions of camo-snowboard-jacket-wearing acolytes. Personally I wouldn't see that as a massive loss. The vaguely Rat-Pack-esque title of this single, however, (This Time (I'm Gonna Try It My Way)) seems to imply that the track will be a singularly pure manifestation of DJ Shadow's ideas. Ironic, then, that it should sound like a singularly pure manifestation of Curtis Mayfield's ideas circa 1973. Flawless production as always and alright if you like that sort of thing, I suppose.
Released 8 January 2007.

No comments: