12 December 2008

THE ROOTS – Live at Bristol Carling Academy – December 3 2008


THE ROOTS – Live at Bristol Carling Academy – December 3 2008
I’ve got a confession to make. I’ve never really been into The Roots. “What a colossal oversight! (You might be thinking) They’re renowned for being a legendary live act!” To which I’d reply, “Well, quite” which is why despite only owning one Roots LP, I still went to see them. And when Tuba Gooding Jr. (possibly not his real name) led the rest of the band onstage with his Sousaphone (a piece of brass so massive it makes a tuba look like a kazoo) and the band kicked the first track, I began to wonder why I didn’t own more Roots albums - a feeling that lasted for – well, about the first five or so numbers in their set. After a while though, (some time later when things got a lot more jazzy and a lot more noodly) I slowly began to remember why I haven’t often made a Roots purchase - mainly because I’d rather chew my own fucking arm off than listen to jazzy noodling. Having said that, by the end of the gig, I had - like a woman in a shoe shop - changed my mind again and made a mental note to check out the band’s back catalogue once more.

All of this preamble lets me off having to... …READ THE REST AT MONKEYBOXING.COM

No comments: