27 October 2006

MR LIF - Mo Mega Tour - Bristol Thekla - 25 October 2006


My photo gimp claims he really likes this picture he took because Lif is in the dark and Metro is in the light - y'know - like some sort of metaphor. On the other hand - maybe he just takes sh*t pictures - and needs to reflect on this if he wants to be let out of his dungeon before the next gig.

MR LIF - Bristol Thekla - 25 October - 2006

I'm getting a bit worried about Mr Lif's hair you know - he's been looking a bit like Sideshow Bob for a while now but it's only a matter of time before those dreads are going to merge into one and he'll look like a hip-hop version of that Bib Fortuna guy in Jabba's palace at the start of Return of the Jedi. Imagine trying to comb that f*cker out. Still I don't expect that will stop him putting on a good show - it certainly didn't in this case. He emerged punctually from the shadows said dreads eagerly trying to escape from his hood and wearing a pair of shades - presumably in an effort to shield himself from the full horror of appearing before a half capacity crowd in a former tugboat which, after refurbishment, still looks like it has been painted with motor vehicle underseal. Then he had to work like a Mexican sweatshop labourer to liven up the criminally small audience which by sheer force of will he managed by the end of second song Earth Crusher Plus (from the I Phantom) which (despite my inner DJ screaming 'What are you doing man? You can't dance to that!') had everyone moving, myself included. Well, I say everyone - there were still a few stood with their arms folded at or near the front. Why are some people so willfully perverse? F*ck off to the back you tw*ts. The phantom skunk smoker also made it to the gig and it occurs to me that this may go some way to explaining the paralysis of certain punters. Anyway like I say - it was going off by now so it must have been about here that Lif did a storming version of Washitupfollowed by conducting a swift straw poll to ascertain the number of 'Def Jukies' in the crowd before beckoning on Metro from SA Smash. Now - it is possible that I may have consumed some alcoholic drinks during the evening so while I can confirm that everything I write next definitely happened - it may not have happened in the order I set it down hereafter. I know that they performed Status from Phantom Lif 'gunning' Metro to the floor with sound effects from Wiz, and that Lif laid into management oppression before they launched into the funky Live from the Plantation followed by New Man Theme. I know that they started my favourite Lif track Murs iz my Manager from Mo Mega but switched halfway through to a track I do forget and I know that Mr Lif seemed to be enjoying himself. I was glad that the crowd were yelling their appreciation at a suitable volume, I always feel embarrassed for quality performers when they don't get the crowd they deserve. Mind you as the club wasn't rammed - it was actually possible to dance. At some point DJ Wiz put on a superb freestyle display and I think I remember correctly that the encore was Pull Out Your Cuts off Emergency Rations. Lif was beaming widely by the end of the gig and after thanking the crowd like a true gentleman he explained that he'd be flogging his music and doing signings down at the front. He ended by leading the crowd in a shout of 'PEACE' and show of peace signs. All the more ironic then that I didn't get to shake his hand and say thanks due to some meathead bouncer physically getting rid of people barely five minutes after the end of the gig with less tact and more aggression than you'd usually expect of some mentally stunted, steroid injecting f*ckwit who was last in line to use the family brain cell that night. So, if you read this Mr Lif - thanks for a good night - let Metro and particularly Wiz know their skills were also appreciated, keep up the good work and see you next time.

2 comments:

arabel's raven said...

Photo Gimp says maybe mr monkeyboxing should take his own photos. Then Photo Gimp can stay in his dungeon.

Stone Monkey said...

how did you get out gimpy? just wait till i catch up with you. by the way - your new leather one-piece has strait-jacket arms and a bigger cue-ball-bit for the mouth.